Sunday, April 17, 2011

Here & There

So... this weekend I finished a little wedding project for my college friend Caitlin (her blog is here!) who is getting married at McPherson Cellars here in Lubbock this May (hey, I was married there too!). She asked me to make her a sign-in tree (instead of a guest book, guests "leaf" a thumbprint and sign their name) similar to the one I used at my wedding:



(so thankful for our awesome wedding photographer Lissa- check out her blog here!)



It was super easy-not too many skills needed. First step for me involved making a delicious cup of black tea (w/sugar & vanilla soymilk of course). I really like embossing and stamps- so I used black matte ink, with matte embossing powder, individual letters and numbers (which is really the trickiest part- I am considering splurging on one of those letter rotatory things... waiting on that 40% Hobby Lobby coupon- I highly recommend signing up for their emails! and Michaels apparently emails them too now! ok I have no excuse for not having that letter rotator anymore!) Where was I? Oh yes, I decided to make the horizontal edges a little fancier with the Martha Stewart puncher and to use watercolors to create the tree. Watercolor is my favorite, and I keep them right under my desk so they are most convenient- my art supplies still need a happy home- ill probably be working on this organizational roadblock later this summer!



Punching the edges was a mess at first, but I figured out a system of counting the notches already punched, and moving the puncher to the right and all was well. Don't worry- I confuse myself a lot too.


Painting was super easy after a quick sketch of the tree-skeleton, that's why I love watercolor- you can't mess it up! 


Jeremy was in the office with me while I was making this (ok he totally helped me out... what can I say, he is a nice guy) and I found myself ranting about how much I hate glue and how it can totally mess up your stuff beyond repair, and also how ironic and unfair it is that the only glue-medium I do like is spray glue, but that is useless to me since the wind here is consistently gusty with dirt and those fluffy tree things all over the place... whew. I'll stop there! All that to say- I have found my glue niche, and it happens to be these little double-sided tape squares found in the scrapbooking aisle- they are amazing. I could type all day about them, but I won't....


Put it all together, and it is ready to be filled in on the big day!


My wedding tree is currently framed above my desk- and I love getting to see it everyday! 



So excited for Caitlin's wedding- she has been a sweet friend and I wish her the best!

What else.... 


OH since I have been married I have been on the search for the perfect home-smell for us. I have found said scent, it's Orange Ginger from Bath & Body Works. It is so fresh and clean and a little sweet, without being too girly. Having a little apartment, and living with a man and a cat, I am the only one fighting for good smells here! It is a tiny issue- but one I think about when things get stinky (which is everyday- man and cat remember). I highly recommend the wallflower nightlight route... as much as I love candles, I have to be honest with myself and go with the option that will least likely kill me when I forget about it. 

AND this weekend I got some presents!!! 


Cannot wait to use these! (aka- keep them out for pretty but actually use them as little as possible so I don't have to be without them for more than a second while they need washing, they so pretty!) Thanks to my friend Julia and Jeremiah-who happen to be having their first baby this year :) I can't wait to meet Jr. and spoil him with lots of candy and sno cones. 



Isn't this box amazing?!?! I've never seen a square one! It was an early birthday gift from my friend Amy- she found it at the Eclectic Tea Pot in Plainview. I plan on stuffing it with candy (wrapped of course, Im sure this baby is loaded with lead...) and keeping it in the living room for now, its pretty roomy inside, so maybe it could also hold candles or pens? suggestions welcome. One can never have too many cute boxes- that is for sure. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for blogs! Love it! Favorite so far!

    And in response to your last blog the best knitting tutorials I've found are here:
    http://www.lionbrand.com/
    I just type what I'm looking for in the search box and it has a pictures, written instruction and a video. Cause you know I can't do anything without Nana 2 inches away from me....

    ReplyDelete